Skip to main content

Vitamins through food & overuse

Now that I have developed a sense of taking vitamins for my hair to grow it long and healthy in its natural state, I decided to look more into vitamins and its affect on my acne. I spoke with one of my friends and he said that if taking an excess amount of vitamins that your body needs (more than 100% daily value), then it doesn't absorb it. Your body doesn't actually store vitamins but uses it on a daily basis, hence having to take your vitamins daily. However if you're getting too much, what the excess vitamin(s) does is find some way to get rid of it, thus creating pimples.

If you have a good eating regime and your diet consists lots of vegetables, beans, nuts, fruits, and fish, then you are GOLDEN. If not, then you might want to consider taking some vitamins to match your deficiency. Here are my thoughts:


I like to think I've changed my eating habits to include all of these lovely food groups that are overall good for my body, but I may not be getting it ALL. When you research how to grow long (thick) hair, you will mostly see posts/sites advising to eat certain foods (avocados, spinach, nuts, eggs, etc). Same thing goes for when you research how to achieve a flat stomach (diet is about 80% of the cause, then exercise comes into play).. eat your greens, avoid processed foods, etc. And more and more I'm seeing posts about using natural foods (such as avocados and bananas) as hair masks. So it all seems to boil down to eating right to get the hair and body of your dreams. Seems pretty accurate...

Some examples of internal and external food benefits:

  • Avocados = eat for source of Omega-3 fatty acids, use on hair and face for moisture
  • Eggs = eat for source of protein, use in DIY deep conditioner for protein
  • Honey = eat for source of anti-oxidants/anti-inflammatory properties, use on hair and face for moisture & shine
  • Bananas = eat for source of potassium, use on hair for moisture
  • Coconut Oil = for all cures of life (lol.. just look at these 101 uses for coconut oil!)
These examples are great for those who want to use natural products opposed to harsh chemicals found in cosmetic store products, as well as overall incorporating a healthier lifestyle.

Back to the quest to see if vitamins are causing acne (Manetabolism)

For the last little while I've been taking Manetabolism which I believe has given me significant growth. However I do think that my hair grows relatively quick and it grows about the same with or without the Manetabolism. The issue is, ever since I started taking Manetabolism, I've acquired acne (inflamed) on my right-cheek. Big, red pimples that hurt, which is quite frustrating. I did a test run and stopped using them for about 2 weeks and my acne patch almost went away. But I also started using a DIY toner so I thought this might have had something to do with it, or maybe the new birth control pills I was taking. So I started back up with the Manetabolism and BOOM, my 3 main pimples came back. Even with the help of B Complex which might have been the saving grace combination vitamin (see my B Complex vitamin post), the pimples prevailed.

The Manetabolism has a TON of vitamins and most are way over the 100% daily value limit. Most people would say that anything with a heavy dose of Biotin will also cause acne and that is the same case with Manetabolism. Although I've surely enjoyed it's growth benefits, I think I'm going to stop taking them for a while (longer than my 2 week trial run) and see if my acne goes down. If my acne disappears and my face remains clear, I won't be taking them anymore, sadly.

Everyone's skin is different and takes to vitamins in a different way depending on their diet, lifestyle and deficiencies. So what I'm experiencing may not be the same for others, but this is just my take on the matter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Outlook — Curls, Skincare and Wellness

I thought I'd create a post since reviving my blog (instead of the very old 2015 post I had chilling as my "featured post" lol. So here I am, creating a post to get the ball going and hopefully get some accountability going! For the last year I stuck to journaling and keeping most of my thoughts to myself (or with close family and friends), however I really wanted to take the leap of getting back into blogging and vlogging! I'm super excited and hope you'll rock with me. Here's the content lineup: Curly Hair (because of course, it's consumed my life for the last 7 years 🤫) Skincare (because a girl still has dry skin and acne, and I doubt that will go anywhere 😂) Wellness (because I've always been the "athletic girl" and overall health is SO IMPORTANT) If you're here for all of that, then stick around and stay posted for more :)

Dear Vitamins, PLEASE HELP MY ACNE

Okay okay, so I took one of my many strolls into Shoppers Drugmart because, it's like my favourite store. Only because I could totally spend like a gajillion minutes reading labels. I could spend my WHOLE lunch hour in these aisles: Makeup, Lotions/Creams & Vitamins. Before going on my vitamin escapade, I read up on some sites and blogs regarding vitamins that were beneficial for battling acne. In my previous post, I tried to lookup Vitamins to Heal Acne  but only got so far as Vitamin A and Omega 3. Vitamin A I see everywhere and is pretty much the "go to" vitamin for face creams other than Vitamin E and Vitamin C. However I have read to be weary on going over the recommended dosage for Vitamin A and it totally made this girl's butt bleed . I haven't gone to a Dermatologist yet although I plan to, however it seems like Vitamin A cream is what's being prescribed. I'm trying to go for more of a holistic approach like XOJane  instead of medications. 

Cloré Haul: Marley Hair, SheaMoisture & More

Went to Cloré to gather some hair products, since you know, that's practically the only store in Toronto that caters to ethnic hair. Needed some weavage, a Cowash, and moisturizers for both my transitioning mother and I. It's always nice to educate someone on taking care of their natural/transitioning hair and letting them know it's not that bad or hard once you get the hang of it!