Skip to main content

Finger Coils

Hola!

So this is the 2nd time that I've whole-heartedly done finger coils on my entire head. Since I cut my hair, I've yearned for the "perfect" curls in which I'd have cute little spirals of curls. My natural #washngo isn't like that, well perfect but of course I wouldn't expect it to be. My hair is a mixture of tight coils in the back, possibly 4a and looser coils going towards the front more like 3c. 

I love the coils in the back of my hair because they are the tightest and hold the most form. I'm not too sure if they are tighter because they experience less manipulation or because they don't have any die-hard relaxer bits hanging off them like the front of my hair, or maybe they're just different lol. I do however notice that it takes a LOT quicker to do the back of my hair versus the front because they already have almost-perfect form before I even touch them, they're healthier (less frizz) and shorter so it actually takes less time to twirl the hair around my finger. The back of my hair and pretty much around my hairline is also the bounciest after being finger-coiled. 

The first weekend after cutting my hair, it was quite shorter, although it's only been a month since then. I wanted the cute coils but I quickly did JUST the front (bangs) and did a rush job. I barely used any product, hair wasn't soaking wet and was already drying: already a bad start. I mean they didn't turn out too bad, but it wasn't exactly to my liking and lasted maybe a day. (See #selfie below)

finger coils short natural hair

This time, after a lot of research about how to style short curly hair, I realized a couple vital tips:

- Apply product RIGHT after coming out of the shower with hair soaking wet (this way the product the hair a lot better)
- Use a LOT of product; don't be shy (you need a lot of product to hold the style.. Don't be afraid for your hair to end up feeling sticky as I have in the past because trust me, your hair is THIRSTY!)
- Use a combination of product: don't simply put in leave-in conditioner and think you're good to go (use products that you like and know works well in your hair, and if you're not sure what that is, EXPERIMENT! Try natural products and those famous to the #naturalhaircommunity like #SheaMoisture, #CantuBeauty, #AsIAm, #MissJessies, etc)
- Most importantly: Have a spray bottle filled with water readily available (you will need this to keep your hair wet as you continue to style your hair.. My hair dries pretty quick so this was a great tip for me)

A month passed and I thought I would give up on the timely task of doing finger coils but then I stumbled across a pictorial on missjessies.com site and I decided to give it another go! You can also see this link for a YouTube video >> http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MKgH9RIa5QE. 

Tightly Curly Coil Out on natural hair
how to finger coil natural hair
(http://missjessies.com/site2/downloadable/StyleSheet-TightCurly-CoilOut.pdf)

The first time I tried it, it took me a couple hours, didn't have the water bottle handy the whole time but I sprayed periodically, and I did it half laying down watching TV. It turned out well, I thought, and lasted about 4 days before looking too frizzy to the point it didn't look polished anymore. This time, I decided to actually part my hair like the pictorial shows and I used #SheaMoisture Curl Milk & Curling Soufflé per section after using #MixedChicks leave-in conditioner for my whole head. I liked this combo of product, kept my hair moisturized and defined. Working in smaller sections ensured no parts of my hair were missed and everything was coiled. I parted my hair in half down the middle, then parted again so I had 6 sections and held with butterfly clips. I did one half, took a break then finished the other half and it took me about an hour to coil it all. I believe the first time I used only one hand the whole time, but I felt it would be more efficient to use my left hand for the left side and right hand for my right which seemed to be okay. One thing I would recommend is not detangling with a comb and to just finger detangle instead. Other than that, this really worked for me and I felt my hair was super bouncy! After putting some Moroccan Oil on my hands and spreading it through lightly, I sat under my travel 'overhead dryer' bonnet attached to my regular hair dryer for about 30mins to set the style and I will wear a bonnet to bed to preserve and save frizz. 

Result:
finger coils natural hair







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Outlook — Curls, Skincare and Wellness

I thought I'd create a post since reviving my blog (instead of the very old 2015 post I had chilling as my "featured post" lol. So here I am, creating a post to get the ball going and hopefully get some accountability going! For the last year I stuck to journaling and keeping most of my thoughts to myself (or with close family and friends), however I really wanted to take the leap of getting back into blogging and vlogging! I'm super excited and hope you'll rock with me. Here's the content lineup: Curly Hair (because of course, it's consumed my life for the last 7 years 🤫) Skincare (because a girl still has dry skin and acne, and I doubt that will go anywhere 😂) Wellness (because I've always been the "athletic girl" and overall health is SO IMPORTANT) If you're here for all of that, then stick around and stay posted for more :)

Review: Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm

Great colour, matte, but doesn't stay.

Gym Routine in a Corporate World

Since I've entered the "corporate world" it's been pretty hard to stay active. Going from retail to a 9-5 really gets you! I got "fat" and now I'm trying to get back... Ok, I'm not fat. But I definitely gained some more of it! I thought my birth control made me fat, and maybe it added to the weight gain, but I can't blame it all on it. When working retail I was always on my feet, moving around, lifting boxes, etc etc. Now, I sit down 80% of the day so if I'm not getting a workout during work, I need to get up and do something. I used to sit around in the lunchroom, watch TV, but I made a pact with myself (lol) to go to the gym each day on lunch! I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, but I've been consistent since and I plan on continuing! Check out my fitness body composition where I started off before going daily!