Skip to main content

Dear Vitamins, PLEASE HELP MY ACNE

Okay okay, so I took one of my many strolls into Shoppers Drugmart because, it's like my favourite store. Only because I could totally spend like a gajillion minutes reading labels. I could spend my WHOLE lunch hour in these aisles: Makeup, Lotions/Creams & Vitamins.

Before going on my vitamin escapade, I read up on some sites and blogs regarding vitamins that were beneficial for battling acne. In my previous post, I tried to lookup Vitamins to Heal Acne but only got so far as Vitamin A and Omega 3. Vitamin A I see everywhere and is pretty much the "go to" vitamin for face creams other than Vitamin E and Vitamin C. However I have read to be weary on going over the recommended dosage for Vitamin A and it totally made this girl's butt bleed. I haven't gone to a Dermatologist yet although I plan to, however it seems like Vitamin A cream is what's being prescribed.

I'm trying to go for more of a holistic approach like XOJane instead of medications. She seemed to go for a "vitamin cocktail" of Vitamin A (5000 IUs), Zinc, Borage Seed Oil (pill form) and Vitamin E. So my objective today was to check out the vitamins and do my own research, and to my lucky surprise, EVERYTHING was on sale, yaaaaaaaay.

**OMG, IN THE MIDST OF WRITING THIS POST, I HAD TO RUN BACK TO SHOPPERS TO GRAB OIL OF OREGANO... I will report on this later in the post**

I looked for Vitamin A first but there wasn't much of a selection. The only Vitamin A pills they had were the Life brand and it was 10,000 IUs so I was too afraid to pick it up given I don't want to overdose on it!

I spent quite a bit of time looking at ALL the Vitamin D options. I mean, it came with Calcium, came in a liquid dropper, came in chewable tablets, came in horse-size pills, little pills, everything. I already take vitamins that are chewable gummies and I don't want my boyfriend eating anymore of my gummies while I'm gone LOL so the teeny-tiny pills caught my eye. A value size of 250, almost a year supply, and half price ($8.99)? Yes please!



Not too concerned for Vitamin E in a pill since I know it's best used in face creams and such, but I did look into the Zinc. When doing my research it does have the top 5 highest ratings on acne.org which made me very curious. However most reviews said it makes you nauseous and the bottle said not to take it with some other vitamins (that I can't remember) within a 2-3hr time frame. I know I'm bad with timing so I don't want the risk. I might look into using some oils that are high in Zinc like Pumpskin Seed, Wheatgerm, Sunflower Seed &  Linseed for an oil cleanse or moisturizer later on.

**BACK TO OIL OF OREGANO (OOO)

I came across the dropper of OOO but considering it was still expensive despite being on sale ($27.99), I left it alone. UNTIL I DID SOME GOOGLING. Everyone and their Mama said it was good and works within 1hr (feeling the tingly sensation) to a couple days. Because I'm super impatient, this sounds great to quickly get rid of acne, especially this one particular survivor on my face (I popped the rest but this one just won't budge!). I hope it is the holy grail I've been looking for to cure my huge pimples!

I'll have to review in a couple weeks and see if there's been any improvements. And sorry, I will NOT be posting any progress pics until my face clears LOL. But these are the vitamins I'll be taking for the next little while, wish me luck!



**Update - June 25, 2015**

Did an assessment on Acne.org and this was their advice on Vitamins, so it looks like I'm on the right path: Zinc (gluconate) 25-50mg/day, Fish Oils (Omega-3s), Vitamin D3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Outlook — Curls, Skincare and Wellness

I thought I'd create a post since reviving my blog (instead of the very old 2015 post I had chilling as my "featured post" lol. So here I am, creating a post to get the ball going and hopefully get some accountability going! For the last year I stuck to journaling and keeping most of my thoughts to myself (or with close family and friends), however I really wanted to take the leap of getting back into blogging and vlogging! I'm super excited and hope you'll rock with me. Here's the content lineup: Curly Hair (because of course, it's consumed my life for the last 7 years 🤫) Skincare (because a girl still has dry skin and acne, and I doubt that will go anywhere 😂) Wellness (because I've always been the "athletic girl" and overall health is SO IMPORTANT) If you're here for all of that, then stick around and stay posted for more :)

Cloré Haul: Marley Hair, SheaMoisture & More

Went to Cloré to gather some hair products, since you know, that's practically the only store in Toronto that caters to ethnic hair. Needed some weavage, a Cowash, and moisturizers for both my transitioning mother and I. It's always nice to educate someone on taking care of their natural/transitioning hair and letting them know it's not that bad or hard once you get the hang of it!