Skip to main content

Cash Stash, A Kick Start & Embracing Ethnicity

Spending to your last penny, or saving for a rainy day?
Small businesses & entrepreneurs looking for some cash?
Looking to market your biz to the diverse likes of Toronto?

Cash Stash

Why it's time to stash some cash 

So I'm the type of person that likes to save a BIT (not too much) but also use ALL of my money effectively lol. Because of school, I'm like many others in debt and working to pay it off. But luckily landing a full-time job soon after graduation, I feel like I deserve some luxuries so I spend my hard-earned cash. I feel I often succumb to the "I work hard for my money so I deserve it" bit, but what is living without enjoying the moment?! However this article speaks on having an "emergency fund" and is referenced as an "FU Account" which I thought was quite comical. So when something bad happens, you have the cash to say "FU"! Even with putting $50 a paycheck away to my savings account, when it accumulates I often take it out to pay off some debt because it's too tempting and I guess that means I'm 'braving' the consequences. I'm starting small but atleast I'm doing something!

A Kick Start


So starting a small business of my own, I'm intrigued when I hear of other entrepreneurs and small businesses having success stories. It gives me something to work towards. I've looked into KickStarter to see if it would be beneficial for gaining crowd interest and funds. When reading up on the successful campaigns, I ran across this Toronto-designed company and I was interested in hearing a follow-up to their current progress. It took them years of research and development but they were able to raise nearly $1million when only asking for $100k; that's crazy! I mean, it's not a typical story for every person and I definitely feel that you get out what you put in, but I am happy for this company and can only dream to have a crowd backing experience like that! The company used their blog to to feature an interview with an athlete giving their product the thumbs-up. One thing that I know is truly important for any business, big or small, is that you need a celebrity endorsement. For big companies, this could mean a celebrity/athlete, and for a small business it could be local bloggers with a big fan base.

Embracing Ethnicity


In Toronto, we know how diverse our city is. We love that we are multi-cultural and embrace it all! I feel like NY is the same type of city in the sense their are a LOT of people, and a lot of different people at that. I love how I see more ethnicities embraced on TV and in ads. It's a very good thing to know companies are finally matching their marketing to the market they're after, as it should! Fisher-Price wanted to ensure they showed more of the Spanish, Black and Asian population. This reminded me of a Dove commercial that NaturallyCurly featured with their new Curly Campaign. I watched it with my mom and we both loved it. Being biracial myself with thick hair that I "re-found" when I did the big chop, I really wish this message came across when I was earlier instead of making every (black) woman thinking straight hair was best instead of their natural curls. I LOVE LOVE LOVE their message that every girl, especially little girls, should love their hair and embrace it's uniqueness. #LoveYourCurls all the way! Watch their commercial below and I'm sure you'll be moved:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Outlook — Curls, Skincare and Wellness

I thought I'd create a post since reviving my blog (instead of the very old 2015 post I had chilling as my "featured post" lol. So here I am, creating a post to get the ball going and hopefully get some accountability going! For the last year I stuck to journaling and keeping most of my thoughts to myself (or with close family and friends), however I really wanted to take the leap of getting back into blogging and vlogging! I'm super excited and hope you'll rock with me. Here's the content lineup: Curly Hair (because of course, it's consumed my life for the last 7 years 🤫) Skincare (because a girl still has dry skin and acne, and I doubt that will go anywhere 😂) Wellness (because I've always been the "athletic girl" and overall health is SO IMPORTANT) If you're here for all of that, then stick around and stay posted for more :)

Review: Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm

Great colour, matte, but doesn't stay.

Gym Routine in a Corporate World

Since I've entered the "corporate world" it's been pretty hard to stay active. Going from retail to a 9-5 really gets you! I got "fat" and now I'm trying to get back... Ok, I'm not fat. But I definitely gained some more of it! I thought my birth control made me fat, and maybe it added to the weight gain, but I can't blame it all on it. When working retail I was always on my feet, moving around, lifting boxes, etc etc. Now, I sit down 80% of the day so if I'm not getting a workout during work, I need to get up and do something. I used to sit around in the lunchroom, watch TV, but I made a pact with myself (lol) to go to the gym each day on lunch! I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, but I've been consistent since and I plan on continuing! Check out my fitness body composition where I started off before going daily!