Skip to main content

First Straighten Since Big Chop!

So I decided on a whim to straighten my hair. You know, it's been 4 months since I last straightened it and that was when I did my big chop at the hair dressers. 4 months is a BIG DEAL for me considering I pretty much used to straighten my hair every week when I had my relaxed hair. 

didn't wash my hair, but I didn't think I had too much product in it. Considering my hair was already dry, and to me stretched out, I thought it'd be good "prepped hair" (not realizing my daily water-hair milk-oil routine) and that surely it had more product than I thought... And to add to that, I even put detangler product and thermal protectant serum in. So I started straightening it and it turned BRITTLE (looked like a serious case of split ends)! I thought I had to cut all my ends (more than an 1") off. 


damaged hair from straightening split ends


realized I was literally just burning the products in my hair, matching almost the smell of burnt weave. I freaked out once I got to my ears, and I started at the nape of my neck *so very lucky I started at the back and not the front*. I immediately saturated my hair in conditioner and I watched my hair stay limp and I almost cried. I had faith it would curl back so I deep conditioned over night. It seems like one side "burnt" more than the other and now it refuses to curl WAHHHHHHH!! 


heat damaged curly natural hair


I washed my hair about 4 times since and the section I straightened really relaxed my curl pattern and I pray it goes back normal. I had to fake it with a roller set in the back :( and pretty much tuck it into my headband when doing a wash n go. I read other forums with people's comments about dealing with bad straightening experiences, both at home and after visiting the salon. Some people said "you have to cut it", others said they've had good results with constant protein treatments. I've recently been doing an at home mixture consisting of: 1 egg, mayo, olive oil, warmed coconut oil (if not warmed prior to mixing, it's clumpy) & some times I add glycerin. It seems to be working for me, the straightened parts are still no where near the tight curl pattern I had before, but slowly getting there. And I refuse to cut my hair, other than a light trim, so be it. 

I just wanted to see my hair straight but I'm glad I didn't continue any further than I did and now I'm afraid to straighten my hair again. My boyfriend is somewhat upset saying I shouldn't have touched it and I should just leave it alone.. 

"Isn't that WHY you cut your hair.. Because of heat damage? I swear that's what you told me?" 

I tried to explain the reason why I big chopped because before I had chemically straightened my hair as well as flat ironed every week which is very different from a one-time straighten in 4 months. I don't expect him to understand everything but I totally get where he's coming from and I think I'll just leave it alone (away from that type of direct heat) for some time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Outlook — Curls, Skincare and Wellness

I thought I'd create a post since reviving my blog (instead of the very old 2015 post I had chilling as my "featured post" lol. So here I am, creating a post to get the ball going and hopefully get some accountability going! For the last year I stuck to journaling and keeping most of my thoughts to myself (or with close family and friends), however I really wanted to take the leap of getting back into blogging and vlogging! I'm super excited and hope you'll rock with me. Here's the content lineup: Curly Hair (because of course, it's consumed my life for the last 7 years 🤫) Skincare (because a girl still has dry skin and acne, and I doubt that will go anywhere 😂) Wellness (because I've always been the "athletic girl" and overall health is SO IMPORTANT) If you're here for all of that, then stick around and stay posted for more :)

Review: Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm

Great colour, matte, but doesn't stay.

Gym Routine in a Corporate World

Since I've entered the "corporate world" it's been pretty hard to stay active. Going from retail to a 9-5 really gets you! I got "fat" and now I'm trying to get back... Ok, I'm not fat. But I definitely gained some more of it! I thought my birth control made me fat, and maybe it added to the weight gain, but I can't blame it all on it. When working retail I was always on my feet, moving around, lifting boxes, etc etc. Now, I sit down 80% of the day so if I'm not getting a workout during work, I need to get up and do something. I used to sit around in the lunchroom, watch TV, but I made a pact with myself (lol) to go to the gym each day on lunch! I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, but I've been consistent since and I plan on continuing! Check out my fitness body composition where I started off before going daily!